Old December 17th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

Default How can I get a cat to be a lap cat?

hamilton wrote:
We have a very playful kitten. Sweet personality, but for some
unexplained reason he only likes to cuddle with me. My husband would
really like a lap cat, but kitty doesn't seem interested in him at all.
I am thinking of trying things like only feeding him when he's sitting
on hubby's lap, but that seems extreme if there's an easier way. Any
ideas?

just be happy with the fact he is happy and healthy and enjoying life,
that is more than enough. if he wants to sit on a lap he will, if he
doesn't he won't, you have to love cats for what and who they turn out
to be, just like you would your kids, you can't train them (cats or
kids), they are not dogs and that is their charm. So what if he doesn't
want to sit on a lap? so what uif he doesn't turn out to have the
personality you desired? very few humans grow into adulthood with with
perfect characters and personalities, the majority grow to be rather
horrible and nasty individuals, particularly through adolescence, but
you have to put up with that and you can't change it usually.
I have never had a 'lap cat' btw, had cats who loved to snuggles up
under the covers with me, one who loved to sleep stretched out across
me on my bed, current one woudl never share a bed with me as she
prefers the bottom of my cupboard, another who slept in the bath, they
are all different and all have their little foibles, just have to
accept it as part of the package

Your kitten sounds a lovely little fellow and at that stage he has far
more important things to be doing (exploring his surroundings, climbing
curtains, pouncing on savage bits of string, chasing rolled up balls of
paper, leading an expedition into the mysterious land of Behind the
Fridge, etc etc) than sittign still on a humans lap, so enjoy him as he
enjoys his new surroundings, and love him regardless of whether he
wants to bow to your desires or not.
you can;t choose the personalitie of your kids or family so why do you
want to choose the personality of your cat?
Bookie
ps have never had a 'lap cat' btw, had cats who loved to snuggles up
under the covers with me, one who l;oved to sleep stretched out across
me on my bed, current one woudl never share a bed with me as she
prefers the bottom of my cupboard, another who slept in the bath, they
are all different and their little foibles, just have to accept it as
part of the package