Old September 28th 03, 06:27 PM
Gia

(Elijah) wrote in message . com...
Hiya.
Have a supremely annoying and occasionally affectionate 9-month old
kitten and an older and loving tuxedo cat. Was just given a
magnificent persian rug but it'd be a shame if the kitten tore it to
shreds and there's no way I'll declaw them. Is there any kind of
effective deterrant? I was thinking of waiting a few months until the
kitten isn't so destructive anymore, but that isnt 100% effective,
cause she'll still probably occasionally scratch it like when she's
bored, stretching or deliberately misbehaving. Any advice?
Thanks

First off God Bless you for not considering declawing.
Anyway, I know this may not seem really helpful but I'm amazed how it
helped both me at my house and also my mother. She has a rug somewhat
similar to the one you described and it's 100% wool.
We got those cardboard scratchers you find at the pet store or even in
most grocery stores for about $5 to $10 depending on what size you
get. Keep in covered in cat nip which usually comes with it. And the
cat's seem to love it SO much that they don't even touch the rug in
yours and my Mother's case, and my new living room suit in mine.
I know all cats don't like the same things but my mom has 4 cat's and
I have two and they ALL seem to LOVE the cardboard scratchers. Cosmic
Kitty puts out a nice one.
Good luck
Gia