Old April 30th 05, 02:47 AM
BarB

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:34:16 -0700, "cat rancher"
wrote:

"BarB" wrote in message
.earthlink.net...
: I am passing on some info from several rescue groups that might be
: of interest. I have not tried it yet. If you try it, please report
: back your experiences.
: .
: I am trying something new here that you might be
: interested in trying. A cat foster mom told me that
: she uses ground corn chicken feed purchased at her
: local farm supply & feed store for cat litter....
: about $6- $7 for a FIFTY pound bag. I got some
: yesterday and so far, it is working great! It is
: basically just The World's Best Cat Litter brand at
: only 10% of the cost.
:
: The cat pro that told me about using this says that she uses
: something by Purina called Layena:
: http://showchow.purinamills.com/flock/layena.asp
:
: I couldn't find it, but "Pilgrim's Poultry Scratch" works great.
: I'll admit that my cats seem to prefer scoop clay litter, but
: they will use the scratch. I have 3 very large boxes in my "cat
: room". Two have scoop clay and one has the corn scratch. The clay
: gets used more often than the one with corn, but not exclusively.
:
: This should be as flushable as World's Best and as safe for kittens.
: Of course it's not going to clump.
:
: BarB

What is the big advantage of clumping litter? I've used it for
so long that I can't remember anything else, honest... Is it
possible to mix the corn chicken feeder and clumping litter
to get a good but cheaper mixture?

That's what I'm trying now. Clumping keeps down odor and the spread
of disease.

40 lbs. of clump cost about 9$, doesn't it? Is the chicken
litter than much cheaper because it is not as dense?

World's Best corn clumping litter costs about $1/lb. I just bought a
chicken feed that a feed store sells in bulk called "lay crumbles"
that is about the same particle size and density as the WB for less
than $.20/lb. I'm mixing about a quarter by volume with the WB and
iy's still clumping.

BarB