Old February 24th 05, 08:18 PM
Katz

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

I've never been without health insurance; it would terrify me. As I
understand it, a major reason to get health insurance is the problem

of
pre-existing conditions. If there are no gaps in your insurance

coverage,
insurance companies have to take you, even if you have a major

problem like
cancer or something. But if you get diagnosed with something and

don't have
insurance, they're no longer required to accept you. Something like

that. I
may have my facts wrong.

I would never want to be w/o insurance, either. I have several mild
chronic conditions that need pills, Dr. visits, etc. You've got the
facts just about right. It's part of the HIPPA law. You're allowed to
go w/o insurance for something like 100 days (?). I had to literally
count the days when I was laid off, then worked temp-to-hire w/o
insurance for 3 months. I just made the cut-off time for how long you
can be w/o insurance. I stocked up on my meds on my old plan, so I
wouldn't have to pay extra for them. I didn't want to pick up the COBRA
for that short a time. You don't have to get COBRA right away. You can
wait.

Katz