Old May 30th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Downside of Fewer Depo Medrol Shots?

Some of you know that I have a cat with allergies and asthma, "EGC" immune
system problems. Because she gets both lesions of the lip and linear
granulomas on her legs, AND asthma attacks and congestion AND general
itchiness to the point of scratching her ears raw, my vet and I decided
early on to try Depo Medrol (steroid) shots. They work great! However, there
is a risk of serious side effects such as diabetes if they are given too
often. What is two often? My vet said more than once every two months.

Well, I worked hard to minimize allergens in the house and switched her food
around, with some success. She went a year with no lesions of any kind,
first time in the 5.5 years I have had her!! AND no asthma attacks.

Until this morning. She had a coughing/wheezing fit and I took her right in.
She is fine except for some new plaque buildup, the congestion, and slightly
runny stools, which she has had for a while. I thought maybe my giving her
new flavors of Fancy Feast did it--the fish flavors instead of beef and
chicken--but the vet said diarrhea is another side effect of the allergy
complex EGC. She gave me a liquid medicine (metronidazole) and a little
syringe, I am to dose her 0.5 ml twice a day. It is supposed to restore her
normal gut flora.

So, I am thinking she needs to have two Depo shots a year, that it might not
be the best thing to try to take her down to one a year. She's been frisky
and happy, but itchy and congested, too.