Old November 7th 13, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default A dreadful thing has happened

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:
In a village not far from me. A recently adopted dog from a rescue
centre has killed a 4 year old girl and apparently the mother had to
stab the dog to get it off her. My heart goes out to them. Imagine
having to stab your dog to try and save your child, it doesn't bear
thinking about but of course you would do it.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...73/Four-year-o
ld-girl-killed-by-pet-dog-at-home.html

I sometimes wonder if big dogs in rescue are really checked out enough
because, let's face it, they have a difficult history and that's why
they are there. Reporters are swarming all over the rescue centre with
difficult questions for them. But actually, even a small dog could kill
you if it went crazy and so could a cat if it ripped you to bits and
wouldn't stop. I am very sad here tonight.

Tweed

It really is terrible. It must have been so horrific. Everyone must be
feeling so guilty. The little girl is said to have adored the dog. They'd
only had it two months. As you say, with a rescue dog you don't know their
history although the neighbours have said it seemed a nice docile dog.

A real tragedy. Perhaps it could have been avoided, perhaps not.

Judith

Here's the latest from my local radio station:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-24850320

They are saying it was a bulldog, they are usually very good with children.
Nüle has 6 bulldogs and AFAIK their temperaments are perfect. One of hers
has the German equivalent of the CDex obedience award and is working towards
higher.
Rescue dogs always come with a history and you don't always know what that
is. The two rescue dogs I've had certainly had issues, one I would have
trusted with children, one I definitely wouldn't.
My heart goes out to everyone involved in this tragedy.

Tweed