Old January 27th 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Pseudomonas Treatment with one Kidney

Hi all,
Our five year old kitty, Sammy, just had a kidney removed at the end
of November. It was totally destroyed...filled with pseudomonas.
He was on amikacin for a week and that seemed to clear
everything. He supposedly has asthma (chronic bronchial infection,
mystery cross-over cough that goes away when on an antibiotic)...has
had struvite crystals and had way too many drugs of all sorts. Since
Christmas Sammy has had a stuffed nose and we've been concerned.
Suddenly yesterday he started throwing up, today he has diarrhea. Our
other cat, Petra, has had the runs since Sammy's operation. Anyway,
they are now both on a med. for the runs, metronidazole, and Sammy is
back on amikacin because his nasal swab from two days ago
showed...pseudomonas again. Gads. With one kidney the amikacin is
dangerous. Apparently there is an old drug our vet used in the late
70's that might work . We're waiting on some more test results before
going that direction. Bottom line----does anyone have any experience
of anything like this or have any ideas of drugs or treatments that
might work? He's in a delicate spot and of course we love him a lot.