Old July 31st 03, 05:05 PM
-L.

"Dave" wrote in message m...
Hello,

Does anyone have experience with imitation wood flooring (like Pergo) and
cats? I'm really tired of this old carpet that traps litter, dirt, dust,
and hair and am wondering if the immitation wood flooring works OK.
Specifically, is it scratch resistant?

Yes, but not completely.

Also, what happens if a cat pees on
it?

If it is not the sealed or glued type of laminate flooring, the urine
will run underneath the tiles. Most laminates today are "glue free"
and "floating". I would be *really* hesitant to use laminates if I
has an animal who routinely urinated in the home. But, the nice thing
about the floating flooring is that the boards can be replaced more
easily....

I don't know about the cost, but I thought I'd check out Lowes or

Depot this weekend.

3-4/sq. foot if you do it yourself, sometimes higher, dependant upon
brand. (West coast prices.)

I do like carpet in the winter because it feels warm,
but the other aspects I mentioned above are really tiresome.

Laminates are pet-friendly except for the pee factor. And with any
laminate, large amounts of liquid are a no-no. FWIW, WilsonArt
flooring is supposedly one of the best for repelling liquids and
scratches. Pergo is reportedly crap, overall. Dunno much about the
other brands.

If you can afford it, hardwood is the way to go.

Good luck,

-L.