Old May 30th 09, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB

Default cat-proof latch

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Fri, 29 May 2009 18:01:36 -0600, MLB wrote:
Hactar wrote:
In article , MLB wrote:
Hactar wrote:
We have sliding (pocket) doors connecting the "catty" and (ostensibly)
"non-catty" sides of the house.

So, is there anything that can reliably keep the cats in their half the
house? I'm thinking about a latch for the doors. The sticking point is
finding something that's easy for humans and impossible for cats, can be
operated from both sides, and doesn't make it look like we're in a
prison.
How about a hook and eye near the top of the door? Not beautiful but it
would work.
Hook and eye is inoperable by cats, especially these cats. It can't be
higher than a seated person can reach, but about as high as a doorknob
should be OK. It'd have to have enough slack in the mechanism to allow
a hand through so you could work it from both sides; I dunno if you can
do that unless your hook is long enough to allow enough of a cat through
to put significant force on the mounting.

You could put one on each side. MLB

Is this a joke? Close the door.

Want some thing easy for humans but impossible for cats? There's a lovely
invention that has been around for centuries. It's called a door knob.

He said this is a pocket door -- no knobs. MLB