Old May 30th 09, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Hactar

Default cat-proof latch

In article , MLB wrote:
Hactar wrote:
In article , MLB wrote:
Hactar wrote:
We have sliding (pocket) doors connecting the "catty" and (ostensibly)
"non-catty" sides of the house.

So, is there anything that can reliably keep the cats in their half the
house? I'm thinking about a latch for the doors. The sticking point is
finding something that's easy for humans and impossible for cats, can be
operated from both sides, and doesn't make it look like we're in a
prison.
How about a hook and eye near the top of the door? Not beautiful but it
would work.

Hook and eye is inoperable by cats, especially these cats. It can't be
higher than a seated person can reach, but about as high as a doorknob
should be OK. It'd have to have enough slack in the mechanism to allow
a hand through so you could work it from both sides; I dunno if you can
do that unless your hook is long enough to allow enough of a cat through
to put significant force on the mounting.

You could put one on each side. MLB

They'd have to be linked. If the inner one is locked, you're blocked
from entering the room unless you can change it somehow.

Anyhow, I got some refills for my Ssscats and made them pretty well
untippable (and un-accidently-reaimable), so I'll see if that works.

--
The mnky gibbering and screeching used to keep me up at night, although
in the lst week or so it's prtty mch tailed off to nthng. The smell has