Old June 1st 17, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

Default summer's here

On 5/31/2017 1:56 PM, Lesley Madigan wrote:
On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 12:51:44 AM UTC+1, Jill McQuown wrote:

It is different in the US.

It really is-over here in the UK everyone assumes cats have outdoor access.

Shelters rarely rehome if you don't have a garden and then only if there are reasons for the cat to be kept indoors such as an elderly cat or FIV+ etc. I think it's a bad thing because whilst I've been lucky in that all my kittens have been "free to a good home" usually from a friend of a friend (Ganzi came to me that way friend of a friend was told they couldn't get their girl spayed until she was 8 months old so they tried to keep her in when she went into heat but lust found a way) if I couldn't then- well there's always sites like Gumtree where you can buy a kitten no questions asked. This means a shelter kitten loses out on a home and encourages backyard breeders.

We're not really geared up to the idea of indoor only cats. Recently I did a PDSA quiz that assured me living on the first floor the only suitable pets for me were a budgie, fish or a hamster! Yet I've had indoor only cats for 32 years without a problem I've got two of them sitting next to me now

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

For the benefit of my fellow USAians, in Britain "First Floor" is what
we call "Second Floor".