Old September 19th 11, 07:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

Default Need a cat gracy recipe or a cat friendly gravy recipe

Matthew wrote:

Limo who is 15 almost 16 has something wrong with her mouth it is not a
tumor or lesion the flesh under her tongue is staying inflamed. The vet
believe it is an auto immune disease. He put her on antibiotics in the
beginning they helped out a lot but are doing nothing now.

Currently treating with corticoid shot every couple weeks she goes back this
week again. Probably put her on a permanent version of the drug. She hates
being pilled she runs and hides for hours if you miss getting her.

Well she has trouble chewing.

Matthew, when I had some foster kittens recently that became ill and
wouldn't eat (they were about 8 weeks old so on solids by then) I got a
kitten feeding kit and used the syringe without the teat from that to
syringe-feed them. Like Catlady suggests, a wide-bore syringe would be
perfect. I had to cut the end off the syringe to make it wide enough for
the gloopy food. The food I used was Royal Canin 'Babycat Instinctive
10' wet food in trays, which is like a pate consistency, and watered
down a little to allow it to flow better.

I wonder if Limo is reluctant to eat because it is just too painful for
her? It sounds to me like lapping or chewing would be very painful with
an inflamed mouth or tongue so she doesn't really even want to try as
she knows it will hurt. I'm not sure how easy it will be to try
syringe-feeding her but it may be the only way to get some nutrition
into her.

Another thing I had to deal with a year or two ago was a rescue cat that
had its jaw wired due to a RTA. Obviously he could not eat or drink so
he had a gastric tube through which both liquid food and water had to be
given at set intervals throughout the day. The area was covered by a
tubular bandage and a dressing. It required a lot of careful nursing to
make sure the tube and area was kept spotlessly clean and that he got
the right amounts of food and water throughout the day. It is a drastic
option but that way bypasses the painful mouth completely. However may
not be suitable for an elderly cat or your circumstances. I'm sure your
vet could advise.

Deb.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com