Old November 12th 11, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Default r.p.c.a on Facebook

Joining Facebook itself is handing your personal info to an organization
with a long record of selfish irresponsibility and boneheaded incompetence
shrouded behind corporate arrogance when it comes to protecting it.
NO WAY, not ever.

That's your choice, Jack. But if you only operate under an Internet alias
as I do, and don't reveal personal information, there's no problem with
Facebook. And avoid signing up for Facebook apps. They will publish your
info. I don't know if your info you've listed above [my sig] is accurate,
but if it is you're asking for trouble, especially in newsgroups.

The information is accurate. I've had a sig like that on every message
I've posted to Usenet since 1983 - tens of thousands of messages. No
"trouble" like you're imagining has ever occurred.

Facebook asks for vastly more data and makes it as difficult as
possible for you to make effective use of their system if you
don't hand it over.