Old December 20th 03, 09:41 AM
Ray Ban

(Tracy) wrote in message . com...

I disagree that having a new baby is a trivial thing. For cat lover
zealots here who don't have human children, do you treat having a new
kitty a trivial thing?

I don't think people (most people anyway) are saying that having a new
baby is a trivial thing. What they are saying is that using that as an
excuse to abandon their responsbility to a cat, especially an older
one that will gave extreme difficulty finding a new home, is lame. It
is quite possible, as millions of families will attest, to have both a
cat and a child simmultaneously. It just takes a little bit of thought
about how to accomodate everyone's needs. But a lot of people just
don't want to make that little bit of effort. That is thoughtless.
Especially when, as is often true, the life or death of a living being
is concerned.

Well, it's not that simple. Suppose I have a cat. Now a baby arrives.
I can't afford to feed and care for both. Who should go? In some
cases, it takes much more than just a little bit of thought and a
little bit of effort. Of course, zealots will make you believe that
everytime a cat is given up over a baby, that it could just have taken
a little bit of this and a little bit of that to keep the cat. If the
cat is killed/murdered in the shelter, then so be it. Thousands,
perhaps millions of animals are killed everyday anyway, cats included.
Get real.