Old July 20th 17, 05:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Losing Fur

On 7/20/2017 6:07 AM, Cheryl wrote:
Kerry, my newish cat, seems to be lacking fur on part of her belly near
the back legs. I only just noticed - she loves being petted, but like
many cats, she takes exception to belly-rubs

Not to detract from your concern about Kerry and the loss of fur. This
leads to another musing:

Why, if cats don't like belly rubs, do they display themselves like this?

https://s9.postimg.org/na751bla7/belly.jpg

That's Buffy just a few minutes ago. In a puddle of sunshine.

Here's the answer. It's a sign of trust. It shows they know you aren't
going to hurt them. They're exposed, vulnerable.

It does *not* mean they want you to rub their belly. No matter how soft
or tempting, be ready for the claws to come out.

Jill