Old October 19th 16, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Dataw's Feral Cats are Fine

On 10/19/2016 2:14 AM, MaryL wrote:
On 10/18/2016 10:31 AM, jmcquown wrote:
Feral cats are apparently very resourceful little creatures!

DIFF (Dataw Island Feline Foundation) volunteers made sure there was
plenty of food and water at the feeding stations before the evacuation
order due to Hurricane Matthew locked down the island.

I inquired last night on the Dataw Net, any word on the ferals?

All the cats have been accounted for except one shy little guy named
Mini-Peanut. By all accounts he never wanted to feed with the other
cats, preferring to eat by the tennis courts. Some county [shelter]
workers tried to check on him before the resident volunteers came back.
I'm told they couldn't get to the tennis courts due to storm debris.
Yeah, it's a big mess out there, folks.

It could be he Mini-Peanut is still being his usual reticent self and
simply hasn't been spotted yet. I hope!

Purrs that Mini-Peanut is okay.

Jill

Great news! Thanks for letting us know. Sending purrs for Mini-Peanut.

MaryL

It is good news! 43 feral cats. They've all had their ears notched so
they can be identified as having been trapped, neutered/released.

Buffy has a notched ear. She was one of the ferals until her former
owner scooped her up as a kitten. Who says you can't turn a feral into
a completely spoiled love bug? Introduce them to a life of luxury when
they're young, of course you can.

One idiotic woman wrote in reply to my post how they should stop
neutering the cats because it makes the marsh rat population increase.
Uh, what? How does a feral cat not having testicles relate to an
increase in the marsh rat population? (Maybe someone should be
neutering the rats.) The cats still hunt for food. I didn't understand
the correlation. Is she a proponent of letting the cat population
explode? Apparently.

In the nearly 9 years I've been living here I've only seen a marsh rat
once. That was while cleaning the gutters. They're no bigger than
hamsters. She made it sound like they were all over her house and yard.
Lady, if you have a problem with marsh rats, call an exterminator. Do
NOT tell people not to spay/neuter the feral cats. One does not have
anything to do with the other.

Jill