Old December 29th 04, 11:21 PM
Yoj

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
On 2004-12-29, CK penned:

By putting a piece of the puzzle into Google I got the following

suggestion
for a solution:

QUOTE It could be based on the vowels in the words. dOll = $12 implies

O =
$12 rIng tOss = $24 implies I = $12 kItE = $15 implies E = $3 blAckbOArd

=
skAtEbOArd - E = $34 - $3 = $31 UNQUOTE

Source: http://www.able2know.com/forums/about41755.html

What I don't get is why this sort of thing is supposed to be a test of
intelligence. It's a lot like those pop quizzes they like to throw you at
interviews. You might be able to determine intelligence/creativity by

seeing
how many possible approaches a person tries, and whether they

intelligently
reject the poor ones, but you can't judge intelligence by whether or not

they
stumble onto this particular approach!

Bah!

I thought about number of letters, and I thought about scoring based on

height
above ground at which the item was used, and a few other things ... but I
didn't stumble on the vowel thing, it's true.

Can you tell I don't do well on these sorts of things and have a chip on

my
shoulder about them? Heh.

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream

DLH
with an attitude!

I didn't figure it out either, and I've been a member of Mensa for many
years. I don't know what my reading speed is, but I do read fast, so that
probably contributed to my score. Also, people who read a lot are more
likely to know the answers to some of the questions.

For many years I was a closet Mensan. I didn't mention my membership to
anybody, because many people don't know what Mensa is. How do you explain
that without souding boastful? I finally realized that I know many
brilliant, talented people who wouldn't qualify for Mensa. My Dad, for
instance, was probably the smartest person I've ever known, but he was a
very slow reader. I also realized that IQ tests don't check for
imagination, ingenuity, common sense or various types of talent. Not only
that, I know many Mensans who have very poor people skills, and some with
rather odd personality quirks. A Mensan I knew was killed when the
ceiling-high stacks of newspapers in his house fell on him and crushed him.

Now if I mention a Mensa event and somebody asks, "What is Mensa?" I say,
"It's an organization for people who are good at taking IQ tests. As far as
I'm concerned. that's all those tests prove - how good you are at taking
that kind of test. I know highly intelligent people who freeze up when they
have to take any kind of tests. I enjoy doing various word puzzles, and
look at IQ tests as fun, similar to a puzzle. My good score on an IQ test
doesn't prove I'm smarter than you or someone else in ways that matter much
more than taking tests.

Joy