Old March 12th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Basement cats

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

I'm sorry to hear that Otis is still disturbing you in the night.

I remember I replied once before ;-) when I said I don't allow my cats in
my bedroom. It's out of bounds 24/7 as I don't want them to get used to
going in there. There are allowed the run of the house otherwise. I
sleep very badly anyway so I don't want the possibility of the cats waking
me if I happen to be asleep!

Rusty is not allowed in my bedroom either. He sleeps in his own room
with the door closed. I let him out first thing in the morning. One
time I got a complaint from a downstair neighbour about noises at 6 am.
It was Rusty jumping on and off a horizontal heating duct. Now he is
in a room where there is no furniture.
Rusty also snores in his sleep. When he was boarded at the vet, the vet tech
was surprised to hear his snores. She said she has never heard a cat snored
like that. I also has trouble sleeping so I can't sleep in the same room as
Rusty.

Winnie

I understand your feelings: but you need to sleep. Continually disturbed
nights are bad for you. How about putting the boys in the basement
Sunday-Thursday nights and letting them be with you on Friday & Saturday
night? Then you could take turns napping in the day if you needed to.
Just an idea for a compromise.

Oh well, we'll do this for a while and see if we become human again. We
might start to like being awake all day ;-)

You can't really go on like this, can you? Otis seems over-attached to
you and I can't help thinking that because you love him a lot and want him
to be happy, that you are "enabling" him to remain so.
It would be different if he would just snuggle up all night quietly with
you, but he doesn't..
My two seem quite happy to sleep downstairs at night, or on the spare bed
in the next bedroom. They are rarely noisy, sometimes I hear them
galumphing around as if they are chasing each other and just occasionally
Boyfie will forget it's not a weekday and will meow outside my bedroom
door at 7.15ish to ask me if I realise that the alarm hasn't gone off and
now I will be late for work. He's pretty good about this though, it's
only once in a while.

I hope you find a solution, Susan.

Tweed