Old November 22nd 13, 09:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner[_3_]

Default How to stop too many cats/kittens from driving you insane...

On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 8:51:46 PM UTC-5, John Doe wrote:
This is mainly for kittens. But my male cat enjoys chasing his tail,

so it might work well for him too. Currently, he needs the exercise.

I found a way to give my three kittens all the indoor exercise they

can handle. Basically, it's just extending their tail 6 or 8 inches

with a 1/4 inch thick nylon cord, using packaging tape. It's not very

nice, but I'd rather feel a little guilty than feel angry at them. I

know some people have injured and even killed their pets out of

anger. And these kittens (in addition to three adult cats) have been

driving me crazyer.

To my pleasant surprise... These kittens appear to enjoy their tail

extension. One reason is because it helps a lot with chasing their

own tail. Serious tail chasing action. Sometimes one chases another

while it is being chased. Sometimes they play with their own. I

haven't seen a circle chase yet (with all three kittens). They stop

the action simply by being at rest, and the other cats lose interest.

The most active kitten became so wild the first time, I removed the

thing early so it wouldn't go crazy. But it's just that way, it's

very active. Since then, it's done great.

So... When they start getting into stuff that they're not supposed to

(like all the time), I just whip out the tail extenders and that's

all they do until their next nap. If they lose interest, I will post

saying so.

I'm happy to hear about any potential injury. Most useful would be

personal experience. Apparently getting caught on something is it,

that's why I'm using a breakaway device. And this will happen only

under human supervision.

All my 'skeletons' are right out in the open, as anyone can verify with a simple Google Usenet search... Friggin' dick-wad.

IBen Getiner