Old January 31st 04, 04:53 AM
Chris

Try the Cornell University site.. they have pretty good medical info...
There is also a Yahoo FELV+ group where members seem to share contacts &
experience...
Also, just in case, make sure your cat had both the Elissa test (done right
in the office) and the IFA test (bloodwork sent out to lab). Was he an
indoor-outdoor cat? As I understand adult cats can only contract Leukemia
from prolonged exposure to other FELV+ cat...

"Dave" wrote in message
We took our 11/2 year-old male, sweetheart of a cat in to the vet because
he was lethargic, and the vet diagnosed auto-immune anemia. Further

testing
showed that he had an 11% red blood cell volume (normal is 35-50%) and is
positive for Feline Leukemia.

Oh boy...

We've decided to give him the best chance he can have to get back on his
feet and keep him with us for as long as we can. So, he had a blood
transfusion last night and for the next few weeks he's been prescribed
steroids and antibiotics, as well as Felovite vitamins. In a week he'll

get
another blood test and we'll see how he's doing.

We CAN'T loose this cat, period.

So, I would appreciate it if you folks could point me to some

info/resources
on getting him past this anemia and making his life with leukemia as

healthy
and long a one as we possibly can. There's a ton of stuff out there (I

know,
I've been digging through it) but it's hard to tell what info is current

and
reliable. Has anyone had any luck with supplements/medication that we can
give him to help him fight the virus (our vet is looking into getting him

on
Interferon)? Are there any diet changes that can help? He doesn't like the
Felovite, are there any other options for getting him his vitamins?

Anything
else I'm missing?

Many thanks,

Dave