Old August 16th 03, 08:37 AM
Arjun Ray

In ,
(Christie) wrote:

| I called the Humane Society for the lowest cost spay/neuter on feral
| cats and it turned into $92, that's not what I call cheap or low cost.

The Humane Society of New York (in the city) has a wonderful program for
ferals. Bring a feral in a trap and they will do the following as part
of a standard protocol:

(a) Spay/Neuter
(b) Flea and earmite treatment
(c) Rabies shot
(d) Eartip
(e) AB shot, if warranted

Cost: Free.

Of course, you have to call in advance to get a slot, as the ferals are
squeezed in around the regular surgeries for their vet clinic. But they
are flexible, on occasion making room for emergencies and understanding
all about ferals being difficult, shall we say, about appointments. At
the HSNY, they really *care*.

| Be prepared for a lot more than "they" quote.

That's what usually happens at regular vet practices who may treat
ferals also. Such as the vets who accept Muffins Certificates:

http://www.muffins.org/spay.htm

The certificate costs $28 for a male, $41 for a female, but the things
not covered can add up - brutally if you don't watch out (or, as it
usually turns out, learn about the hard way.)

| Also they expected an appt. at least two weeks in advance and this was
| for wild feral cats.

This isn't a problem per se if you're planning a TNR project, as you can
trap over multiple sessions/days to get the cats. Much more worrisome
(and this is what I assume you mean) would be inflexibility on squeezing
in an occasional cat or two at short notice.