Old January 3rd 04, 12:30 AM
.oO rach Oo.

My Stella and Delilah are both apartment cats. The clay litter did the same
to me when I first used it when they were first adopted plus it made the
apartment smell like litter (not the waste, just litter) I went out and got
a store brand clumping litter and a box of Arm and Hammer cat box freshener.
It's basically baking soda with a liquid activated scent which is quite mild
and pleasant. The girls didn't mind a bit, in fact I think they liked it
better because it was a finer grade of stone. Now I just scoop every day as
a ritual or once every other day and toss the plastic bag in the trash
(grocery bags). It hasn't smelled since.

Good luck!

It seems as if every time I change my kitten Charlie's litter, I
experience some major allergy symptoms centered solely in my eyes over
the next few days. I'm using Fresh Step Clay. Do you think it's an
allergy to their particular brand, or to clay litter in general? I
highly suspect that it could be due to the dust involved in pouring the
new litter; I don't seem to experience the symptoms when raking the
litter for poop, for example. I really don't think that it's due to
Charlie's dander, although I suppose I could be mistaken. Any
suggestions? Should I go get goggles and a dust mask from a hardware
store?

Also, as a possible solution, I had thought seriously about switching to
a crystals brand; Charlie's been remarkably adaptive in adjusting to
things (especially since he is a young 'un -- about four months now),
but I note that you're not supposed to flush the solid waste from
crystals down the toilet. (See

http://www.freshstep.com/crystals/faq.html#14.) How do people handle
that, then? I'm in an apartment building --
would this mean putting poop into a plastic bag and tossing it each
time? [Wouldn't you eventually run out of plastic bags? ;-)]