Old March 10th 05, 01:15 AM
Phil

Default Other alternatives to Hills prescription s/d?

Our female cat recently had emergency cystotomy surgery for bladder stones
or crystals. The crystals were evidently of the Struvite variety and Hills
prescription s/d was recommended. We have both cans and dry food of this
variety.
Here is our problem. We have two other adult cats besides Ripley, our
surgery kitty.
Can all three cats eat this s/d on a daily basis? Our vet seemed to indicate
that they could, but that leads to our second problem.
*None* of the cats (Ripley included) will eat the canned s/d. They will not
even be so much as in the same room with this food. They all will more or
less pick at the dry s/d, but I fear they will never change their attitudes
toward the canned. One of these cats is a senior and on the thin side so I
don't need him going on any kind of hunger strike. It would also be
extremely difficult to feed them seperately.
So is there another more commercially made canned cat food that would have a
similar formula to the s/d but that they might all find a bit more to their
liking? I'm not talking necessarily about a cheap supermarket brand. We have
several pet shops that carry a wide variety of more 'natural' type brands.

Any other suggestions to help this kitty with her life of hopefully
remaining bladder stone free?

Thanks,

Phil