Old September 8th 05, 02:03 AM
mlbriggs

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 23:35:44 +0000, "kls" wrote:

Milly is almost 1 (16th Sept) and she batted a wasp or bee today which
stung her on her front left paw. I saw it happen but it was so fast I
didn't see whether it was a wasp or a bee.

She shook her paw several times very fast and ran to the patio and then
frantically licked her paw. I inspected it but didn't see a sting left in
there. She didn't cry and she could walk on it, although she did hold it
up occasionally.

After about one hour, it had swelled so much that her paw looked like a
boxing glove and she continued licking it.

I rang the Vet for advice and they told me to bring her in straight away
if she seemed distressed. She seemed a bit sleepy to me so I took her in
anyway and they gave her an antiflammatory injection (x2)?? after a
thorough inspection.

She seems fine now and the swelling has gone but I asked the Vet if cats
could suffer Anaphalactic (sp.) shock, like humans. She said it wasn't
well documented but it's like humans, if they get sensitised to stings it
could happen.

She did advise me to bring her back if I was at all worried but she seems
fine and has eaten as normal this afternoon/evening.

Poor baby, she's sleeping now but I am still worried about her. Has
anyone got any experience with cats and stings?

Thanks
Karen

A few years ago, my niece's Siamese caught a bee in her mouth and she was
dead from the sting by the time she arrived at the Vet's (15 minutes
later). I suspect and purr that your kitty will be fine. But keep her
in the house. MLB