Old June 3rd 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] fridge life of cooked mushrooms?

Jo Firey wrote:

On 2006-06-02, Joy penned:

Another thing that will keep longer if you don't keep it tightly
sealed is lettuce. I buy the prepared salads that come in bags. If
I seal the bag, it gets slimy in two or three days. If I leave the
bag open, it will keep for as much as a week.

Those bagged salads seem to last forever -- like multiple weeks -- for
me. Maybe the arid climate?

As long as you try to buy them with a long "sell by" date and as long as you
don't open the bag they keep pretty well. Isn't there some sort of gas in
the bags that works as a preservative? Like what they have in cold storage
warehouses?

Probably! They may say "organic" (the latest buzz-word to
justify "premium" prices), but I don't think any of them say
"preservative free". (Probably because it wouldn't occur to
most of us to read the label for such a statement on fresh
produce.)