Old December 31st 09, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Totally OT. China

"Christina Websell" wrote:
Did you actually take on board what I said? China has executed a Brit and
that is very serious. More than serious. It is so not allowed to execute a
Brit since we had the good sense to make capital punishment illegal since
the 1950's

The syntax here is a bit confusing - I think it's more accurate to say
that the U.K. government is statutorily prohibited from executing
people. So for example, I'm not a Brit, but I cannot be executed
under British jurisdiction. I am currently in the U.S. and can
certainly be executed here though, but hopefully, I won't be.

The treatment of the mentally ill by authorities is tricky here too. A
few years ago, my good friend who was mentally ill was arrested while
camping, for carrying a weapon - a hunting knife. He was released
without his equipment, whereupon he died of exposure and hypothermia.