Old February 5th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.misc

Default Advice for choosing cat / cats

In article .com,
Gabstar wrote:
Hi, I'm hoping to become a cat owner soon, and I'm looking for some
advice in choosing my new cat or cats. I've never owned a cat before,
but I'm an animal lover and I have kept dogs and rats in the past, so
I'm aware of the commitment involved in keeping a pet.

I live in a large three-bedroomed maisonette with sitting room and
kitchen on the 1st floor (UK, so I mean one storey up), bedrooms on the
2nd floor and entrances to the front and back on the ground floor. To
the front is a large driveway, and to the rear is a large walled
garden. The major problem is that there's a busy road one garden away,
but our next door neighbours keep an outdoor cat (and have done for
years) with no problems.

I live with my partner. We are both at work all day (although it's not
far from home, so we could go call at home at lunchtime for the short
term). There are no children or other pets in the house. As I see it,
I have the following options:-

1. Get an adult indoor cat.
2. Get a kitten and keep it as an indoor cat (not sure if this is
feasible when I'm out all day).
3. Get two kittens to keep as indoor cats (to keep each other company).
4. Get a cat or kitten and let it go out (but I'd be devastated if it
got hit by traffic).
5. Forget getting a cat... (I'd really like one, but not if it's not in
the best interests of the cat).

It would be really helpful to hear what the experienced cat owners out
there think. Thanks.

Hi

My suggestion would be to adopt from your local shelter.

The choice of kitten or adult is really a matter of your preference

If you are going to leave it alone for much of the day it might
not be a bad idea to get two to keep each other company if you have
the space.

Keep them indoors if you can. Some cats, like mine, prefer it
and it is probably much safer for them.

Have them fixed, even though they are not broken.

When you are choosing the cat(s) allow them to choose you rather
than picking one by appearance or breed. This will help insure
that your new friend(s) have an attraction to you as well as
the other way around.

Have a vet look them over when you get them to make sure there
are no problems.

Obey every whim of your new master(s)

Claude