Old November 4th 03, 07:19 PM
Michele

I don't understand how people can have 2 cats for 7 years, invest in
their medicals, etc., and presumably really love these pets and then
just decide that it's time to have kids now and let's get rid of the
cats and move on to something else "more important" (people usually
consider humans outweigh animals in the scheme of things). I realize
that people's priorities should be addressed before animals' (if I had
a kid who was sick and a cat who was sick at the same time, I would
take the kid to the pediatrician before I would take the cat to the
vererinarian), but if you know that SOMEDAY you might start a family
with which the animals could be incompatible, THINK for a minute. Get
an older animal, or hold off until you have a place without so many
"space limitations". ALWAYS I hear these situations after the fact.

I know that some of what I have said may rub some people the wrong
way. But I have 22+ cats (all spayed/neutered/rescued/strays), and I
always say to people that I won't have kids (I am spayed/neutered
myself anyway) because if the kid turned out to be allergic, I would
have to give the KID up for adoption.

Michele

Dee Falt wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 21:44:43 GMT, "amp11pleasedontspam"
wrote:

Again, if possible, it is best to help the cat to adapt to the conditions -
there are probably some good behavioral suggestion that one could elicit from
this group (and possibly from a cat behaviorist - veterinarians may be able
to refer your son and his wife to a local cat behaviorist).

Thank you, Alan, for your response. I'm afraid their space limitations
virtually preclude keeping the cats. I'm well aware of the situation
and is is with great reluctance (and I concur) that a new environment
would be best.

I have one indoor cat plus a colony of ferals. The indoor cat was a
feral for almost two years, but she is very much a fully domesticated
cat although she hob nobs with the others.

Dee