Old May 24th 05, 09:03 PM

We recently adopted a cat from the local cat rescuer.

Congratulations. Sounds like you havea very special kitty.

a big pot belly. She also has bad dandruff. However, the woman said
that the vet could not find anything wrong with her, despite the blood
tests they ran. She was so cute - such a lap cat, and so in need of TLC
that we took her.

Maynard had dandruff for years. Nothing seemed to make a difference,
and it never seemed to bother him. We tried vairous foods, and he
groomed daily. He just had drier skin, I guess.

She is eating and pooping, but generally not very energetic. She LOVES
to be pet, and will get on her back so you can rub her belly for hours
while she coos and purrs (her purr sounds like a bird.) However, her
coat is a mess - patchy fur, heavy dandruff, and we noticed she doesn't
clean herself. What can we do? Is she not cleaning herself because
she's old, or ill, or because her dandruff is so bad she's grossed
out??

You might try some of teh Royal Canin foods. I don't mean to sound like
a vendor as I am not associated with them. Just very happy with their
foods. They make several varieties designed for specific issues. I know
they have one for hair and coat, one for sensitive stomachs, and if
she's older, you might want to mix one of those with their senior food
(for 15+). It has glucosamine.

They should have samples of most of them at the cat shows - you can do
some online searching for cat shows, then contact the vendor
coordination to see see if one of their reps will be there. Or you can
go to their website and ask them to send you a couple samples.