Old June 24th 04, 12:32 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:48:11 GMT, "OU812"
wrote:

got any?

Hard to say, since they all react so differently. Of my three, Rocky
HATES it, LB hates it, and Sammy likes it (after a little getting used
to it). Way back when I saw a PSA on Animal Planet about getting pets
to not stress in the car, and that's pretty much what I did with
Sammy. We started out just sitting in the truck for a few minutes in
the parking lot each day, gradually increasing the time as she got
used to it. Then came starting up the engine to get used to the sound
and virbation for a couple days, followed by short trips. I've never
tried taking her cross country, but don't imagine she'd have any
problem, since after 20 minutes or so she naps anyway.

A couple things that seemed to help. First, she likes to be able to
stand and look out the window, but also wants a safe place to hide if
she sees something scary - like a semi passing by. I have a carrier
that has an extra door on the top, so I can use the seatbelt to secure
the carrier and then tie her leash so that she can stand and watch the
scenery, but not get out of the carrier. I also bring along some of
her favorite food (Fancy Feast), which she no longer gets here at home
since we switched to Iams. Another thing with Sammy, when she's
nervous she likes to have personal contact, even if it's just being
able to touch my leg through the bars of the carrier.

One last thing, something you probably already know. Make sure they're
secured before you open the door or window.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page: