Old July 27th 03, 03:57 PM
Priscilla Ballou

Jack,

I think you and your mother would get along with me just fine! My
neighbors and I are caring for a colony of ferals in our back yards. We
started last winter (which was a really bad winter), putting up shelters
for them, and I keep a heated birdbath on the ground filled with water
for all the wildlife. We started feeding them as well in the late
winter, and this past spring we got an expert to help us do
trap/neuter/release with them. We now have a stable base population of
feral cats, while skunks and raccoons also take advantage of leftover
food, and of the fresh water of course.

Now, I do not have any experience with relocating ferals, but if it's
really just three blocks, chances are the new house is within their
territory already, yes?

Is the garage attached to the new house? It would be ideal if there
were a dog/cat door between the garage and the house, so while they're
shut in the garage (with food, water, boxes, bedding, etc.) they could
twig to the fact that you guys are in the house. That way when you
opened the garage up, they'd be motivated to stay around.

I'm glad you're moving away from that neighbor. If you were staying I'd
suggest that instead of perpetuating the hostility you step down your
efforts, but you're moving so never mind.

I also suggest you post this in rec.pets.cats.rescue. You're liable to
find people with experience in this area there.

Good luck!

Priscilla
--
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,