Old November 1st 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default My cat is on prednisone

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 03:39:44 GMT, Rhonda
wrote:

Thanks for clarifying, Cheryl. Bob probably was predisposed, but I have
to wonder how many more years he would have had without that one
flippin' steroid shot. He got diabetes immediately after that shot and
the internist is the one who told me that was probably cause. I would
never have put that together.

Rhonda

Cheryl wrote:

One shot caused diabetes? That really doesn't sound right. I took a
quick look at the site you mentioned in a following post and two cases
mentioned developing diabetes after nine months of steroid use, not a
single shot. Maybe I was looking at the wrong area?

I guess the shot might have brought it to the front, but I just can't
see one shot causing such a shift in body functioning.

Quite a few members of my extended family have had various forms of
intestinal inflamatory disease, which have traditionally been treated
with cortisone (prednisone). One of the key points of steroid
treatment is that the body's natural production of steroids decreases
when external steroids are introduced, so it is important to taper off
the medication rather than stop suddenly in order to prevent a rebound
affect. The important point is that the cat is already producing
steroids, and that an injection is not suddenly adding something that
wasn't there before. It's just more of it.

If you're feeling bad that a prednisone shot caused the diabetes, I
think you're not guilty as charged. I'd bet that the diabetes was
already there.