Old April 21st 08, 01:52 PM posted to alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.pets.cats
[email protected]

Default Normal for a cat to vomit a tapeworm vs the worm coming out inthe stool?

On Apr 12, 10:27 am, Cat Guy wrote:
We recently gave one of our cats a deworming pill (milbemax) and later
found a worm (sorta looked like a tan-colored rubber band) in a pile
of vomit.

I thought that tape worms reside or attach to the intestinal wall (and
not the stomach wall) and therefore when the worm leaves the cat it's
by way of the stool.

So is it normal, or unusual, for the worm to be vomited out?

Once the drug is ingested, the worms are effected almost immediately.
This includes detaching from the intestinal wall, and an attempt to
escape the caustic effects of the drug. It is possible for the worm
to leave the body via stool or vomit with a heavy burden, but because
of the nature of most tapeworms, they are more likely to be absorbed
by the animal's body.
Because mibemycin is part of the drug you gave, it is possible, too
that your cat had roundworms which may be what you saw instead of a
tapeworm.
Milbemax has both milbemycin and praziquantel in it. Milbemycin is a
drug used in preventative care, such as Interceptor. Praziquantel is
strictly a tapeworm deworming agent.
The other possibility is that you didn't see a worm at all, but a
foreign object that resembles one.
yup, i think i covered everything.