Old September 8th 09, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default One cat put down and the one left behind is suffering

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 10:12:40 -0400, "June" wrote:

I always thought cats had short memories about other cats; sort of nature's
way of handling life for them. I had to have one of my cats put down to
stop the suffering. I still have another cat inside who is missing the
first cat. It's only been a week but it he knows things aren't right. They
weren't real close but would play together once in a while. Harry and
Tigger were both 8 years old but Tigger had to be put down unexpectedly last
week on a Sunday morning. It was hard for me but I knew I did what had to
be done. Today a week later, Harry isn't using his cat box (he goes, just
not in the cat box) and howls at night. Today I found him under the sofa
where Tigger hid when he was in pain. I'm a life long owner of cats but
I've never had one that is so lost. Decades ago I had two Siamese litter
mates and had to have one put down after several years and the one left
behind adjusted quickly. I've petted Harry and talked to him but the night
seems the worst. Any advice?

I once took one cat to the vet to view (sniff) the body of his dead
companion. I didn't want him to wonder where he had gone. I don't know
if it did any good but I think it did.

And when Espy went to the vet for a few days recently, Marlo pretty
much ignored his absence but Nipsy clearly was upset. It does seem to
vary with the cat.

Hey, I have a good idea! How about getting Harry another playmate? Not
a youngster I'm thinking - maybe a nice three or four year old? They
appreciate a good home and aren't so hyper that they would drive Harry
crazy.