Old September 6th 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Default Japan and pet care

Response to "cshenk" :

Hi Lost! Figured I'd move this over here.

I see!

Same here on the feelings though I've not lived in any remote
areas in a very long time. Still, had I had a pet in Sasebo
Japan, it would have been a problem in the middle of the night
because I don't speak any significant Japanese (Nihongo) so
getting help would have been difficult. The base vet is only
there a few days a week. I think it was Tuesday and Thursday?
Morning only. Basic services only like shots and neuter.

Ah, I thought so! You live in Japan or are from there? Too
cool!

Lived there from Spring 2001 to Fall 2007. I was on the Fort
McHenry then later the Essex (Navy ships).

VERY cool. I watched "Monk" on the "USA" channel a day or two ago
and wished I could see the inside of a submarine -- probably not
going to happen but that's totally off-topic... heh.

The spouse and I used to follow the sushi group (I hope that
doesn't sound racist or something) quite actively and love the
culture (not that we really know that much about it).

Thats ok! Lovely culture. Really nice people. Culture quite
different from ours but thats to be expected and there's much in
theirs this I like better than ours.

We've thought the same thing before. I sure wouldn't mind for my
daughters (all 4 of them) to have that education system.

Yesterday I looked up "dashi" and "miso." : P (From your posts
about broths and what your family had for breakfast.)

If you have a local Asian store someplace to your bigger city
that you dont get to very often, drop in and see if they have
powdered Dashi. It's quite acceptable to make it from powder
and the taste is so close, it's more a matter of I used to
adjust mine to be a slight bit more seaweed, so I add fresh kelp
to my pot of powder based dashi.

I wouldn't exactly call it local (25+ miles North), but the spouse
treats me to a trip once a month so I can have spicy tuna hand
rolls, "yum yum" rolls (spicy fake crab), quail eggs, and bonito.
My children would kill me if I stopped buying Kewpie and sriracha.

The unagi and sake (salmon, not the drink, which by the way... how
do you tell the difference between sake-salmon and sake-rice
wine?) have to be purchased online and shipped overnight ($$$) so
I only get it 2-3 times a year. After coming to know Gabby the
spouse said no more for the rest of the year (like four or five
months) and then proceeded to pick up extra hours under the guise
of needing to prepare for vet bills (in part it was).

A month after Gabby got here I got:

10lbs. of green shell mussels
1 ~5lb. tako (octopus)
2 ~8lb. sake fillets (salmon)
4 ~2lb. maguro steaks (tuna)
2 ~2lb. masago (smelt or flying fish roe... forgot which one is
tobiko and which is masago)

Of course my oldest daughter got her YUCKY salmon ikura (pea-sized
eggs, ick) too.

My spouse loves me at least! : P

For broth for cats, use it just plain with 1/4-1/2 ts (yes
teaspoon) per cup of boiling water. Let cool and cats love it!
Do be sure yours doesnt have any problems with iodine and it's
recommended by my vet but at the rate of every 3rd-4th day.

I have some cooled off in the fridge to entice her to drink a
little tonight. 15 mins and we get to pick them both up from
the vet. Cash is awake and fine, Daisy got finished later so
they said to wait a little bit longer as shes pretty groggy
still.

Ever since I first saw you mention this broth of yours (a few
months ago maybe?) I've been itching to make some. Gabby loves
drinking I think in part because it is the dog's water dish. Phat
Kat is a little more resistant but drinks heavily when I catch him
drinking.

So I've never been totally worried about their water intake
(especially since also changing to wet food with an occasional
dry). I just think a tasty broth would make EVERYONE happy. : )

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.