Old October 12th 04, 01:03 AM
Rob

The brand is Wellness. Megan is helping me as well . Rene is further
along than I am in getting the cats to cooperate. I think three of our
four are now doing fairly well on the switch over, the fourth is being
completely uncooperative so far. The quantity Megan recommended
is 15 calories per pound the cat has for a target weight per day, divided
up into two feedings 12 hours apart. So if cat A has a target weight of
10 lbs, you'd feed it 150 calories a day. A 5.5 oz can of Wellness
is 170 calories, so basically you give the cat about a 1/2 can per
feeding. Talk to her though before considering this, that's the
target, you'd probably feed them a bit more to start until they get
closer to their target weight. The food isn't cheap though, $0.80 to $1
per can, but hey, they're worth it .

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
This is great news. What kind of canned food are you feeding and what is
the quantity? I have an overweight cat that I feed a combination of
canned and dried, about 50/50 ratio. Maybe I'll switch him over to all
canned.

S.

"Rene" wrote in message
om...
In case you haven't been following, I started Tucker on a new, canned
food only diet to help him lose weight. (Long story short, my vet gave
me poor information and he gained 5 pounds in 8 months!)

He's been on the diet almost 6 weeks and is doing great! He's lost 1
lb. 10 oz. so far! Initially, he lost a little more than expected b/c
of the new diet, but now he's losing a healthy 4 oz per week or so.
Last Friday was the first time I noticed his physique was a little
different (in a good way).

I'm so thrilled! We have a long way to go, but we're slowly getting
there. If anyone else is thinking of trying this, remember that you
_can_ do it! If Tucker can, any cat can!

A big thanks to Megan too for all of her (continuing) help! Stay tuned
for further updates.

Rene