Old August 17th 16, 12:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Default Post Office Cat

Bastette wrote:
I've probably told this story here before, but one time 3 friends and I
went and stayed in a nice area outside of San Francisco. The place we
stayed at was on a plot of land, with several individual cottages scattered
around. The four of us rented one cottage.

There was a resident cat on the grounds. He would wander around and
occasionally visit someone in one of the cottages if they left their door
open. I guess he must have come into our cottage, but I was still asleep
at the time. I should mention here that all 4 of us were insane cat lovers,
and they no doubt pounced him. They then gently placed the cat on my
pillow, which woke me up. Aww! Kitty! How sweet. Except that the cat
apparently didn't feel the same way - he hightailed it out of there. I
could just hear him: "OMG! Cat lovers! Help! Get me out of here!!"

A few years ago we stayed at the Bon Ton hotel in Langkawi,
Malaysia - it's a group of restored traditional wooden Malay
houses, next to a cat sanctuary. They had several resident
cats (not from the sanctuary but related to them, with odd
stumpy tails), and the way it seemed to work was that each
cat had one of the houses as its home territory. They all
knew exactly where their own fridge was and when the milk
arrived. As far as they were concerned the place just had
a very high turnover of staff, all of whom were told their
duties on arrival.