Old January 21st 12, 05:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
J J Levin

Default English was I'm having new neighbour problems OT

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

I did not make myself clear. What I meant was that English in the
motherland, so to speak, has moved on in a different way from "American"
which was once English and now is a derivative, very similar but not the
same any more as your language has moved on as well.

Can't argue with this. After a few centuries of being separate countries,
it's not surprising that our respective cultures and languages have
diverged some.

This is not meant to be insulting as some think, it's just a fact.

I didn't take it as an insult. I just thought it was wrong.

You spell things differently, like humor, color and have things
called faucets ;-)

LOL. How did a French word bypass the UK and come straight to the US?
(At least, I think it must be from French - looks like it.)

Naturally you piqued my interest, so here goes, courtesy of dictionary.com
(you were right, BTW):

Word Origin & History

faucet

c.1400, from O.Fr. fausset "stopper," perhaps dim. of L. faux, fauc-
"throat." Spigot and faucet was the name of an old type of tap for a barrel
or cask, consisting of a hollow, tapering tube, which was driven at the
narrow end into a barrel, and a screw into the tube which regulated the flow
of the liquid. Properly, it seems, the spigot was the tube, the faucet the
screw, but the senses have merged or reversed over time. Faucet is now the
common word in Amer.Eng. for the whole apparatus.

Jay

So what do you call them?

--
Joyce

Beauty and music seduce us first; later, ashamed of our own
sensuality, we insist on meaning. -- Clive Barker