Old July 30th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default Earthquake in LA!

On Jul 30, 2:28*pm, "Joy" wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message

On Jul 29, 9:06 pm, wrote:

AZ Nomad wrote:

Last year I was sitting at my computer when I felt a brief, but rather
violent quake. I immediately looked it up on the USGS site, where I was
surprised (and a bit embarrassed) to discover that it was only a 3.2..

I'm surprised you made such a big deal over it. When I lived in
Orange Country, I experienced numerous 4.x quakes with the epicenter
within 2 miles of me.

Well, gee thanks for the sympathy!

My favorite type was when the ground would fall 5-10 feet and then do
nothing
else.

The one I was talking about did the opposite: the ground (actually, the
floor, or the chair I was sitting on) suddenly jolted *up*. It was weird.

--
Joyce ^..^

Any of that is still creepy beyond belief to me. Give me tornadoes any
day.
I can deal with that. It's something you can *get away from*. Not
earthquakes!
I heard someone quoted as saying, WRT this earthquake, "Think of it as
practice for "the big one" which is eventually coming.''
I distinctly remember in 8th grade science class (yes, many moons
ago)....the
instructor was talking about the imminent "big one" in which
California
would surely fall off into the ocean. :-)
Sherry

***

Yup. *We're still waiting. *Now they're saying some time in the next 30
years.

I prefer earthquakes to tornadoes. *I just stay put until it stops, which is
usually in much less than a minute. *By the time you have a chance to get
scared, it's all over. *I hate the idea of hiding in a cellar. *I'm somewhat
claustrophobic, and I'd be more afraid of being trapped than of the tornado.
I suspect most of us feel safest with what we're used to.

Joy- Hide quoted text -

Yes, exactly! We're all more afraid of the things we're not familiar
with. We've had
earthquakes here before, little ones. But there is a large artillery
base a few miles away, and when they "play war", the ground shakes. So
I probably just thought
that was what it was.

Sherry