Old September 1st 06, 08:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
pmendhall

Default Vet Tech Journals: Working interviews (very long sorry)

"Mischief" wrote in message
ups.com...
And if you've read my latest rant about my unemployment interview, you
can see how frustrating this is.

Kristi,

It is frustrating, but I feel that you will eventually find the right place
for you. My initial reaction when reading about the reaction of the fellow
techs is that they might be shy or afraid of investing too much time and
energy with someone who may not be around once the job is filled. I used to
go into a situation where I was uncomfortable and would occassionally come
across like a bull in a china shop. After much training and mentoring by a
co-worker, I found one of the magic phrases is "Help me understand..." or
"Could you help me to make sure that I'm doing...right?" It is important to
do this sincerely, but it has been extremely helpful in the past 5 years. I
am now looking for work myself, so I understand some of your frustrations.

I know that you just graduated, is it possible for you to arrange some time
with the college placement services to have some mock interviews conducted?
Sometimes is isn't so much what we say, but the body language that
accompanies the comments. Reflect on the one who gave you the "Duh" look.
The placement center has no real vested interest in you getting a job with
them, so they can be more honest and direct. I know that working interviews
are different than formal interviews, but you may find out something that
would be helpful.

Also, could you contact your friend that helped you understand when you were
too energetic and ask her for some honest feedback. She can probably shed
some light on what makes folks think you are arguing when you are truly
trying to ask a question.

Just a few suggestions, hope they help.

Diane