Old September 2nd 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tanada

Default Vet Tech Journals: Working interviews (very long sorry)

"Helen Wheels" wrote in message

I think you can too, but I'm in no position to offer employment advice. I
guess people can't help but be wary of a new colleague, but then again
they may not even be aware that they're coming across that way.
I think I like this "working" interviews idea. I've often thought the
answers to less-than-an-hour's worth of on the spot questions is a very
superficial way to evaluate whether someone's going to be useful employee
(OK, maybe that's mostly because I'm really bad at interviews and haven't
been successful in years). I'd think that having interviewees actually do
things rather than just talk about them would be a much better way to
evaluate them. I guess it would be hard to do if you were interviewing
people who already had a job somewhere else though. May I ask, do they pay
you for your time while you're on a "working" interview?

One of the new tools for teachers who are job hunting, I'm told, is a video
tape of them in the classroom. The principal, or others on the hiring team,
can watch the tape and get an idea of how the teacher is in the classroom.
The tape is, of course, of the teaching candidate at their best, but it
still gives an idea of what they are capable of. It is also used as a
critiquing tool so that the candidate can see where they were or weren't
effective. Personally, I like it.

Pam S.