Old January 10th 09, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Noon Cat Nick

Default How do you get a cat off a power pole?

Candace wrote:
Another freaking cat crisis in my 'hood. Of all the zillions of
outdoor cats I now feed that have been dumped (discussed here
previously so I won't bore everyone)--literally 9 regulars, 3 semi-
regulars, and several other occasional drop-ins (those have homes, for
the most part)--tonight while walking down the alley looking for one
of them who I hadn't seen in 36 hours (and who was here when I got
back, of course), a neighbor 2 houses down from me was looking up at a
power pole, at a stranded cat, who I have never, ever seen before! I
thought I knew every cat in the neighborhood.

The poor thing is up a power pole, resting precariously on the
telephone lines. About 5-10 feet higher are the live power lines. It
looks like a muted tortie or calico. Of course, it looks very sad and
uncomfortable and scared. The neighbor had already called the Humane
Society (but I went and called, too, as they have ambulances and are
usually here promptly to help) but they do not do power pole rescues.
They said to call the power company, SRP. The neighbor had already
called them, too. SRP will not come out until the cat has been there
for 72 hours because they say by then the cat will be exhausted enough
that it won't climb up the pole trying to escape them and electrocute
itself. So, great. I was thinking of calling them and saying I knew
it had been up there that long but the neighbor--perhaps, wisely--said
that if that were not true and the cat went flying up the pole and got
electrocuted that I would feel responsible. True.

So, how does one get a cat down? I know they do come down on their
own sometimes and I am hoping that once it's dark--which just
happened--it might be less scared and more brave. There are barking
dogs in the yards by the pole so I'm sure the cat is afraid. If the
dogs go in and shut up, maybe the cat will calm down and come down.
I'm going to go put a can of food at the bottom of the pole now that
it's dark but I don't know what else to do. I don't think it's safe
for someone to try to get it in the dark anyway. I think maybe the
best plan is to wait until daylight and see what the situation is?

This is Phoenix, it will get cold tonight, mid-40s, but not cold
enough to cause the cat's death. It will be in the low-70s tomorrow.
I do worry that kids will shoot pellets at it--it seems that there are
those types in this neighborhood. I certainly don't want to throw
anything at the cat or do anything to scare it further up the pole.

****!!!!!!!!!!! And I was planning on renting a bunch of movies,
relaxing, and enjoying the weekend after an especially horrific work-
week.

Anyone got any ideas what to do? There is a woman 2 houses down in
the other direction who has several indoor/outdoor cats and I'm
wondering if its hers. I went to ask her but she isn't home right
now. The cat looks well-fed and healthy despite its predicament.
I'll check back in an hour or so to see if she's home yet.

Candace

(xposted to rpchb and rpca)

A cat can certainly survive temps in the middle 40s; that's no problem.

As far as getting him down, I checked on news reports from the past year
throughout the U.S. regarding cats stuck atop power poles. Seems it's
unlikely that the animal can be coaxed down; someone's gotta go up and
get it.

Start with Animal Control; they might have some ideas. From there, go to
the Phoenix Police, possibly the local municipal utilities, then try the
County Sheriff's office. You might hear them tell you the cat will come
down on its own, or that it can somehow be lured down. But if the poor
cat is still up there after a day or two, it might be time to call the
local newspaper(s) and TV/radio stations and get this in as a human
interest story. That'll make the authorities get on the stick, usually.