Old November 20th 05, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default I don't want to give her away, but she just won't stop urinating!

"Gurpreet" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Everyone!

Thank you so much for all your input! I have two cats right now and
three litter boxes.

Very smart.

Since the last time I posted, my little one has
urinated twice in the same spot. So I presume she must be returning to
the smell. Right now I am trying to get rid of the smell using one of
the enzymatic solutions. But that usually doesn't eliminate the smell.

Is this the spot on the couch? The million dollar question is, what made
her do it in the first place, if this was a couch she was used to being
around before you moved.

Well we moved into this brand new house 7 months ago, so the carpet was
brand new and absoutely no animals were here prior to us. The urinating
problem started only 4 months ago, so I am sure it is not associated
with the move. I am really lost on how to approach this problem.

Okay, let's think then. If it is not a medical problem, and not the stress
of
the move (for the moment let's imagine she did not have a "delayed reaction"
to the move) then what else changed that might have stressed her out or
upset her? What new smells (objects, people, other cat to the vet, other
animals, etc) happened just before she began the behavior?

Although I think it cruel to confine my cat, I have decided to try
that, because of all your great suggestions that is the only one I
haven't tried. I have her in a bedroom on the third floor, with a
window, her own litterbox, food & water. So in the meantime I am going
to try to get rid of the smell, so she won't remember to go back to it
when i bring her out.

I think this is wise because it will give you a break from the accumulating
filth and let you address the stinkiness etc. and feel you are effectively
treating it without kitty taking you two steps backward every day. Once
the stress of that is off of YOU, you might find that you can recall what
it was that happened that changed her world. There isn't anyone there in
the house who does not like her, is there? Could there be a cat she sees
through the window who makes her want to mark her territory? Any
change in the way she is interacting with your older cat?

Thanks again everyone! If there are any more suggestions, i am willing
to try anything!

You're a good cat person, and I know how hard this can be. When I had
to confine my cat for the same reason, I went to see her a lot and even
brought her out to be with me in the living room when I could watch her.
But the instant I was not vigilant and left the room, she peed in the old
spot. She has not for a while but we still do not allow her in that one room
alone, because I am afraid she might. We used Nature's Miracle, vinegar,
and Febreze on our rug, after getting as much urine out as possible. Then
we rented a steam cleaner from the grocery store, steam cleaned over and
over again until the water ran crystal clear, and re-applied the enzyme
cleaner (Nature's Miracle) and added Febreze. I can't smell urine any more.