Old May 31st 17, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

Default summer's here

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 12:51:44 AM UTC+1, Jill McQuown wrote:

It is different in the US.

It really is-over here in the UK everyone assumes cats have outdoor access.

Shelters rarely rehome if you don't have a garden and then only if there are reasons for the cat to be kept indoors such as an elderly cat or FIV+ etc.. I think it's a bad thing because whilst I've been lucky in that all my kittens have been "free to a good home" usually from a friend of a friend (Ganzi came to me that way friend of a friend was told they couldn't get their girl spayed until she was 8 months old so they tried to keep her in when she went into heat but lust found a way) if I couldn't then- well there's always sites like Gumtree where you can buy a kitten no questions asked. This means a shelter kitten loses out on a home and encourages backyard breeders.

We're not really geared up to the idea of indoor only cats. Recently I did a PDSA quiz that assured me living on the first floor the only suitable pets for me were a budgie, fish or a hamster! Yet I've had indoor only cats for 32 years without a problem I've got two of them sitting next to me now

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs