Old April 15th 07, 06:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stacey Weinberger

Default Liver

Hi,

My cat Julian started throwing up late Wednesday afternoon and got very
lethargic. He's gotten upset stomachs before. Thursday he wasn't better
and I started giving him water by an eye dropper. He had stopped
throwing up. Friday I took him to the vet to check for blockages. The
vet found none and gave him sub-q fluids, saying if he wasn't better to
bring him back today. And to give him some chicken broth. He threw up
liquid this morning at 6:30 so I took him back to the vet. The x-rays
showed nothing but the blood work showed his liver values were 194. They
were 81 in September. I forgot to ask how bad this might be. Julian got
more sub-q fluids and a prescription of SAMe. The vet said if he didn't
start eating by Monday to bring him back in for an IV.

Julian hasn't thrown up any more but he is still lethargic. I'm worried
that he is dying. Does anyone know what a liver value of 194 means?
Does a cat have a chance of recovering from that? This vet is very good
and I trust him. If Julian were very bad off he would have kept him
there.

----------
I don't know too much about this, but not too long ago, another person
posted that his cat needed dental work done and the liver enzymes had
skyrocketed. Someone else posted that if a cat hasn't eaten in a day or
two, the cat can start to develop hepatic acidosis due to fatty liver,
which will cause the liver enzymes to go way up. The theory in the case of
the other poster's cat was that the cat wasn't eating because his teeth
hurt. The result was that the vet rehydrated the cat with subcu fluids and
did the dental work, and then the cat was eating soft foods and was
presumably fine. I don't know if any of this applies to your cat, but I
just thought I would pass it along.
Purrs for Julian's complete recovery.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Thank you very much! Julian's teeth are fine. The vet throught he might
have eaten something that caused this. He does "graze" in the flower boxes
on the deck with no problem. I'm wondering if a stray weed got in there and
he ate part of it. I pulled up any suspicious plants after we got home. I
did bring up fatty liver disease with the vet. That was why I brought
Julian in on Friday and didn't wait to see if he would get better.

Stacey