Old January 25th 13, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Can cats be embarrassed?

"The Other Guy" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 03:42:26 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

He *knows* that it is not allowed and I found him doing it. He was either
embarrassed or ashamed.

No, cats CAN NOT feel shame or embarrassment like humans can.

They react on a different level.

A post here, on Craigslist Pets today, had a picture of a dog
with an obvious eye issue, and the person posting it CLAIMED
that the dog was crying because it was in the 'pound'.

Well, they certainly do not cry from emotion and if I had a dog or cat with
tears flowing I would be certain it had a medical issue.

Boyfie is not allowed in my bedroom - mainly because I am such a bad
sleeper, and showed that he knew that by jumping out of his skin when I saw
him in there and then running downstairs.
Maybe we should call it intuition rather than embarrassment, shame or guilt.
For whatever reason, he knew he was not allowed to be in there.
Maybe the mouse left a smell which he could detect, but he still knew that
going into my bedroom was a no-no.
He says it's my fault I got a mousie in my bedroom as he is not allowed in
that one room - serves you right, he says he is an ace mouser - which he is.
He can catch a mouse by sound only, he does not have to see it. I think
Kitty Farmcat taught him that skill.
I love that boy.

Tweed