Old June 18th 15, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Buffy and the Claw Clipping

On 6/17/2015 7:56 PM, MaryL wrote:
On 6/17/2015 5:03 PM, jmcquown wrote:
I was told I'd have to wrap her in a towel. Or have someone help me
hold her down. Yeah, as if that wouldn't scare the crap out of her! LOL

I bought one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/8hsdeg

It took a couple of tries but Buffy relaxed right into me. I have the
trimmers on the shelf on my desk. She likes to be in my lap when I'm at
the PC. So when she got comfy I gently held a paw and *clip*.

She jumped down. Hmmm, that didn't hurt. She jumped back up. I
praised her, gave her scritches, let her relax again. Next nail, clip.
She jumped down. Jumped back up. And again. See? It doesn't hurt a
bit!

I've done all ten front claws (haven't gotten to the dewclaws yet). The
back claws may be a bit more of a challenge. But what a difference!
She's no longer inadvertently hurting me.

I am thrilled at how nonchalant she was about it.

Jill

Good job! The clippers look similar to the ones I used years ago on my
first cat, except that mine were plain without any embellishment. My
cat would let him place him upside-down on my lap to clip his back
claws, and then I could easily clip all of them very quickly.

MaryL

While Buffy does turn upside down and let me give her belly rubs, I
really don't think she'd like to be held that way for any length of
time. I'm just happy she let me clip the front ones. I'll deal with
the back paws tomorrow... or whenever she lets me.

Jill