Old April 3rd 11, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Default Cooking for cats with diarrhea

"JWL" wrote
cshenk wrote:

My owner in topic absolutely devours raw tuna. If it did not seem to be
part of the only way to avoid diarrhea in that cat, I would not
cook Tuna with eggs. I know that cooking degrades some oils in fish. So,
when I eat fish myself, it is canned and not cooked.

Grin, hate to tell you but all canned fish is cooked. It's part of
the canning process. It's not only for presevation but to kill any
possible marine parasites.

Okay, "canned", to be precise over what I said was raw. Whatever the
process, it doesn't seem to cause much obvious difference.

Thats ok, I know what you mean. Being as i've lived coastal most of my life
and in Japan for 7 years, I'm more familiar with the real 'raw fish'
(Sashimi) and tuna is one of my favorites. Real raw fish tuna is very
different from the canned types but it is a cultural wording to often think
of tuna (or salmon, sardines, etc) as 'raw'. You aren't alone and I was
being pedantic ;-)

My mind associates 'raw tuna' with a fish still flipping about that morning
when I have it for lunch or dinner. We clean and dress it ourself if it is
a small whole one. We can also get it by the lb in Virginia Beach at the
local stores when the Atlantic Tuna are running.

I know that canning is a kind of cooking, and only briefly, and if it's
done right, then it is in presence of steam, not air, so the oil
degradation is minimual compared to say, grilling fish, which stinks.
Unless I miss my guess, fish canning is done at Ultra High Temperature
under pressure, something beyond boiling. I do not know the period, and it
basically steriilizes fish. It is more thorough than pasturization at
150F|65C.

I think you are pretty close. I can't feed my cat canned human grade tuna
unless it's water packed because the oil packed ones normally use grain oil
bases. Canola based ones 'may' be ok but she's very grain sensitive.
Waterpacked though should be ok.