Old June 30th 04, 05:43 PM
Sunflower

wrote in message
Sunflower wrote:
snip
Recommending euthanasia without even getting details of what has been
done so far is unconscionable and reprehensible. The owner hasn't even
tried medication, which cures the majority of cats with this issue, and
it also should be noted that this behavior happens once every few weeks,
which makes the likelihood of correcting this problem even better.
Telling him to kill the cat is disgusting on your part.

Megan

No, it's reality. I'm sorry if you don't like it. THe OP wants to rehome
the cat. Period. He wasn't looking for suggestions as to try to deal with
the problem. He "says" the vet found no problems, and although I don't know
what types of testing the OP had done, at this point, it doesn't matter. He
wants the cat gone. And as far as "medication" to cure the anxiety
urination issues, it only works about 20% of the time. Yes, I know from
personal experience on that one, as well as working with our Humane Society.

There isn't one single sane person on the planet who *wants* to live in a
home with a cat peeing all over it. Sure, we do sometimes when we think
it's a short term issue that can be cured, but other than making the cat
live in isolation in a room fully able to be washed down and disinfected
constantly, there has to be some sort of progress in the behavior for it to
be at all tolerated. We share our homes with animals on the expectation
that they will modify their natural instincts somewhat to suit our human
fastidiousness. If the animal can't adapt to being in a home, then all that
is left is being outside, euthanasia, or life in a cage. A good death is
preferable to a bad life in my opinion and I consider a life spent in a cage
a bad life.

So the truth is, you have a unadoptible animal to anyone who knows the
story. What is going to happen to this animal? He'll dump it off at the
shelter where it'll be euthanized by strangers or someone else picks the
animal out not knowing the past behavior to give a home to and starts to
experience the same behavior, and repeats the cycle. How cruel to the cat
is that?

Better to accept the full responsibility of pet ownership and have the
animal euthanized than to pass the problem along to strangers and totally
traumatize the cat in it's last moments.