Old July 8th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

Default Rabies Shots

"Sharon" wrote in message
Is there a rabies vaccination for cats that lasts longer than a year?
I thought there was a 3 or 5 year vaccination. The local vet says
no. This is for a feral cat that is really hard to catch on a yearly
basis!
Thanks!

Yes, there is 3-year rabies vaccine (and titer tests show that the vaccine
is actually effective for longer periods). There are a couple of things to
consider: (1) some states require annual vaccinations, despite the 3-year
availability; and (2) there have been concerns that the 3-year vaccines can
cause even more problems than the 1-year. I said "even more" because of
concerns about vaccination-associated sarcoma -- but rabies is a dreadful
(and always fatal disease), so outdoor cats really do need the vaccine.
http://www.avma.org/vafstf/vafstf01.asp

MaryL